One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The use of statistical data to date the divergence of languages from their common sources.
- ‘The basic fallacy of glottochronology lies in the fact that it a priori assumes that all languages change at the same rate all the time.’
- ‘Despite the outcry, glottochronology is still employed, but in mathematically increasingly complex and conceptually more sophisticated models.’
- ‘Unfortunately, the last published glottochronology for all the Caddoan languages dates to the 1960s, before the technique was refined.’
- ‘New methods in glottochronology provide logical and empirical proof that the second assumption is true.’
- ‘Many of the papers in these volumes show a revival of interest in the much criticised techniques of glottochronology and lexicostatistics.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.