One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Of or produced by the glottis.‘the unmistakable glottal accent of my home town’
- ‘Water would have been excluded from the trachea during normal swimming and in heavy seas, by a glottal valve and a large muscular tongue.’
- ‘Modern phoneticians would more precisely categorize such consonants into velar, uvular, pharyngeal, and glottal articulations.’
- ‘Many have strangely unresonant, throat-blocked, or glottal voices and use ‘up-talk,’ the tendency to end all sentences in a rising, questioning inflection.’’
- ‘But one thing holds him back: the facial tics, glottal sounds, and uncontrollable gestures of Tourette's Syndrome.’
- ‘She employs dramatic chest tones and an occasional glottal attack in her denunciation of the oracles.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.