One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Of or produced by the glottis.‘the unmistakable glottal accent of my home town’
- ‘She employs dramatic chest tones and an occasional glottal attack in her denunciation of the oracles.’
- ‘But one thing holds him back: the facial tics, glottal sounds, and uncontrollable gestures of Tourette's Syndrome.’
- ‘Many have strangely unresonant, throat-blocked, or glottal voices and use ‘up-talk,’ the tendency to end all sentences in a rising, questioning inflection.’’
- ‘Modern phoneticians would more precisely categorize such consonants into velar, uvular, pharyngeal, and glottal articulations.’
- ‘Water would have been excluded from the trachea during normal swimming and in heavy seas, by a glottal valve and a large muscular tongue.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.