Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An African starling with dark glossy plumage that has metallic blue, green, and purple reflections.
- ‘I've seen the return of grey loeries and glossy starlings, which are found in the Lowveld, to Johannesburg.’
- ‘Other birds that are part of the same family include: starlings, glossy starlings, mynah birds, and tick birds.’
- ‘The installation is made up of a large aviary housing two long-tailed glossy starlings.’
- ‘Two Greater blue-eared glossy starlings were in a tree along the road as were two Pygmy sunbirds.’
- ‘All other glossy starlings in the region have long tapered tails.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.