One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A magazine printed on glossy paper, containing many colour photographs and typically devoted to fashion, beauty, celebrities, etc.‘they had sold their wedding photos to one of the glossy magazines’
- ‘I spent a number of years photographing for the social pages of the glossy magazines.’
- ‘I was shocked by the extent to which glossy magazine writers have given up their right to free speech in return for access to celebrities.’
- ‘The first issue of the 100 - page glossy magazine will be published next month.’
- ‘She looked as if she had stepped from the fashion pages of a glossy magazine.’
- ‘I trained as a software engineer before moving to graphic design, before either I used to airbrush pictures of girls for glossy magazines.’
- ‘Since taking over at the newspaper, he has been trying a series of stunts, including giving away copies of Hello, the celebrity-gazing glossy mag.’
- ‘No one collects tin cans or plastic and you cannot put cardboard, glossy mags or directories in the recycle boxes.’
- ‘A friend of mine was once sent off by a leading glossy magazine to interview a supermodel.’
- ‘Both newspapers are clearly chasing an advertising market that would previously have gone to top-end glossy magazines.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.