One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A magazine printed on glossy paper, containing many colour photographs and typically devoted to fashion, beauty, celebrities, etc.‘they had sold their wedding photos to one of the glossy magazines’
- ‘The first issue of the 100 - page glossy magazine will be published next month.’
- ‘I trained as a software engineer before moving to graphic design, before either I used to airbrush pictures of girls for glossy magazines.’
- ‘I spent a number of years photographing for the social pages of the glossy magazines.’
- ‘Both newspapers are clearly chasing an advertising market that would previously have gone to top-end glossy magazines.’
- ‘A friend of mine was once sent off by a leading glossy magazine to interview a supermodel.’
- ‘I was shocked by the extent to which glossy magazine writers have given up their right to free speech in return for access to celebrities.’
- ‘She looked as if she had stepped from the fashion pages of a glossy magazine.’
- ‘Since taking over at the newspaper, he has been trying a series of stunts, including giving away copies of Hello, the celebrity-gazing glossy mag.’
- ‘No one collects tin cans or plastic and you cannot put cardboard, glossy mags or directories in the recycle boxes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.