One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Inflammation of the tongue.
- ‘She also had painful glossitis and angular stomatitis.’
- ‘A diet deficient in niacin (as well as tryptophan) leads to glossitis of the tongue, dermatitis, weight loss, diarrhea, depression and dementia.’
- ‘Among these lesions, angular stomatitis and glossitis were more prevalent than flattening of the fingernails.’
- ‘This is a painful condition where lesions develop at the corners of your lips, and glossitis (inflammation of the tongue) can also occur.’
- ‘The patient may experience glossitis, or cracking at the edges of the mouth, and he or she may lose hair or the luster of the hair may change.’
Early 19th century: from Greek glōssa ‘tongue’ + -itis.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.