One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A shiny finish produced by a particular type of paint or varnish, or as the surface of a particular type of paper.‘you can choose either a matt or a gloss finish’
- ‘Each table is inset with tea lights, adorned with a simple repeated motif of circles, and has a high gloss finish.’
- ‘Do not use steel wool on high gloss finishes.’
- ‘The gloss finish looked so good, I went at the teak woodwork in the cabin!’
- ‘When rubbing a high gloss finish to repair or to renew a gloss, I some times see scratch patterns through the shine.’
- ‘Gloss finishes are shiny and scrubbable, so they are perfect for doors, trim and specialty uses.’
- ‘Decals adhere better to a gloss finish, and are also easier to shift when wet.’
- ‘Finishes come in a clear gloss finish (high gloss) and a satin finish (low gloss).’
- ‘The standard lacquer gave a gloss finish to the surfaces, but aircraft in some series were delivered with a matte lacquer.’
- ‘A gloss finish prevents dirt from becoming embedded in paint.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.