Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A cluster of nerve endings, spores, or small blood vessels, especially a cluster of capillaries around the end of a kidney tubule.
- ‘The capillaries of glomeruli with cellular crescents were collapsed and showed few or no inflammatory cells.’
- ‘In the kidney, the glomeruli show thickened capillary walls and endothelial swelling.’
- ‘The neoplastic cells surrounded glomeruli and invaded renal tubules forming lymphoepithelial lesions.’
- ‘Men's kidneys have larger glomeruli than women's and they have a greater glomerular volume.’
- ‘The glomeruli are tiny blood vessels within your kidneys that filter fluid, waste and other substances from your blood.’
- ‘Fairly well differentiated renal tissue with embryonic glomeruli and tubules.’
Mid 19th century: modern Latin, diminutive of Latin glomus, glomer- ball of thread.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.