Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Acute inflammation of the kidney, typically caused by an immune response.
- ‘As in streptococcal pharyngitis, acute rheumatic fever and poststreptococcal glomerulonephritis most often occur in children.’
- ‘Acute rheumatic fever and poststreptococcal glomerulonephritis are the nonsuppurative complications of streptococcal pharyngitis.’
- ‘Septic arthritis and acute glomerulonephritis have occurred following ear piercing, and infectious endocarditis has been reported after body piercing.’
- ‘Leading causes of kidney failure are diabetes, followed by hypertension, glomerulonephritis, and cystic kidney and urologic diseases.’
- ‘Late effects of the kidney inflammation glomerulonephritis’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.