Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a group of simple proteins soluble in salt solutions and forming a large fraction of blood serum protein.
- ‘The pattern of serum protein electrophoresis results depends on the fractions of two major types of protein: albumin and globulins.’
- ‘Normal urinary proteins include albumin, serum globulins, and proteins secreted by the nephron.’
- ‘Once the steroids are released into the blood, binding globulins can regulate hormone availability to target tissues or protection from metabolism.’
- ‘There are several types of simple proteins known as globulins in the blood: alpha, beta, and gamma.’
- ‘By some unknown process, acupuncture raises levels of triglycerides, specific hormones, prostaglandins, white blood counts, gamma globulins, opsonins, and overall anti-body levels.’
Mid 19th century: from globule (in the archaic sense ‘blood corpuscle’) + -in.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.