One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a group of simple proteins soluble in salt solutions and forming a large fraction of blood serum protein.
- ‘The pattern of serum protein electrophoresis results depends on the fractions of two major types of protein: albumin and globulins.’
- ‘Once the steroids are released into the blood, binding globulins can regulate hormone availability to target tissues or protection from metabolism.’
- ‘Normal urinary proteins include albumin, serum globulins, and proteins secreted by the nephron.’
- ‘By some unknown process, acupuncture raises levels of triglycerides, specific hormones, prostaglandins, white blood counts, gamma globulins, opsonins, and overall anti-body levels.’
- ‘There are several types of simple proteins known as globulins in the blood: alpha, beta, and gamma.’
Mid 19th century: from globule (in the archaic sense ‘blood corpuscle’) + -in.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.