One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large compact spherical star cluster, typically of old stars in the outer regions of a galaxy.
- ‘The oldest stars, which lie inside globular clusters that orbit our galaxy, are estimated to be at least 12 billion years old.’
- ‘In the 1900s American astronomer Harlow Shapley studied the distribution of globular clusters in our galaxy.’
- ‘He also discovered the retrograde rotation of the system of globular clusters around the galaxy.’
- ‘The new findings promise a better understanding of how galaxies and globular clusters first formed billions of years ago.’
- ‘Be warned that first-timers can find it difficult to appreciate galaxies, globular clusters, and planetary nebulae.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.