Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A gradual increase in the overall temperature of the earth's atmosphere generally attributed to the greenhouse effect caused by increased levels of carbon dioxide, CFCs, and other pollutants.
- ‘Some climatologists maintain that global warming is unlikely to have an impact on hurricanes.’
- ‘He was a sceptic about the capacity of global warming to affect hurricanes when he began a detailed study of the data.’
- ‘One important problem is that the emission of carbon dioxide causes global warming.’
- ‘The islands are at risk of being submerged if sea levels rise, which is an expected result of global warming.’
- ‘However, whether this is global warming, or part of a longer-term cycle, who knows?’
- ‘We all know that carbon emissions are contributing to global warming and ecocide.’
- ‘For the first time senior politicians and the media have clearly linked flooding to global warming.’
- ‘If we use more petrol we create more pollution and add to global warming.’
- ‘The company is deeply concerned by the effects of global warming caused by the greenhouse effect.’
- ‘We cannot tell if global warming is occurring as a result of increased atmospheric carbon dioxide.’
- ‘It is impossible to blame any one individual weather event on global warming.’
- ‘However, the impact that global warming may have on the monsoon is not yet fully understood.’
- ‘It is the key to the fight back against pollution, global warming, and dwindling resources.’
- ‘The tired old global warming, and greenhouse gas bogeymen have also been raised.’
- ‘I have researched the subject of global warming and alternative energy for more than ten years.’
- ‘The jury is still out regarding the case of human induced global warming.’
- ‘Where am I to go for serious coverage and debate on the big issues of climate change and global warming?’
- ‘One further feature of global warming is the increased risk of flooding in the future.’
- ‘The reason is the way global warming affects rainfall and other weather patterns.’
- ‘Conflict over the role of nuclear power in combating global warming is heating up.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.