Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The sport of flying in a glider.
flying, in flight, in the air, on the wing, wingingView synonyms
- ‘The girl didn't notice the gathering, ominous clouds, and as soon as she thought of going gliding, her mood changed, and she became happy again.’
- ‘The gliding had a higher level of variation, but still was of a high quality.’
- ‘Interesting experiment, although personally I don't think speed gliding is the way to go to promote our sport.’
- ‘As discussed previously, the difference between powered flight and gliding is the flight stroke, which produces thrust in true flyers.’
- ‘During her time with the squadron, she has tried her hand at both powered flying and gliding and has gained some fundraising experience.’
- ‘Sailplane pilots dream of gliding in the Andes, Sierra Nevada and over Jondaryan.’
- ‘This was an underwater version of gliding and parachuting, except that we had to avoid missing another drop-off.’
- ‘This month is the 75th anniversary of organised gliding in Australia.’
- ‘Spend more of your gliding time flying straight in rising air and you'll raise your glide over the ground.’
- ‘There is the occasional mishap, but statistically, gliding has been shown to be about as safe as normal airplane flying.’
- ‘The four sports were water skiing, sports parachuting, alpine skiing and gliding.’
- ‘He took up gliding, sharing a glider with a local general practitioner, and went solo on his 65th birthday.’
- ‘The other thing that this writer of this book couldn't resist is a detailed account of flying and gliding towards the end of the book.’
- ‘The rambles are £5, for example, while gliding was £30.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.