Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A transformation consisting of a translation combined with a reflection about a plane parallel to the direction of the translation.
- ‘Since translations and reflections are both isometries, a glide reflection is also an isometry.’
- ‘There is an axis of a glide reflection without parallel axis of a reflection to it.’
- ‘Thus, the four symmetry operations are reduced to two operations - rotation and glide reflection.’
- ‘The axes of the glide reflections aren't shown, but they are midway between parallel reflection axes.’
- ‘Because of this, we say the tiling is symmetric with respect to reflections and glide reflections.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.