One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The connective tissue of the nervous system, consisting of several different types of cell associated with neurons.as modifier ‘glia cells’Also called neuroglia
- ‘Most of the bone marrow-derived cells in the brain tissue were glia (support cells) and other non-neuronal cells.’
- ‘The transplanted stem cells engrafted and differentiated into human neurons and glia that intermingled with host brain counterparts.’
- ‘These factors play a pivotal role in brain development by direction the formation of neurons and supporting cells called glia from uncommitted progenitor cells.’
- ‘He showed that this was due primarily to the growth of more synapses and more nonneural supporting cells called glia.’
- ‘From human embryonic stem cells the company has produced the three types of brain cells, namely glia (glue cells), astrocytes (star cells) and oligodendrocytes (few branches cells).’
Late 19th century: from Greek, literally ‘glue’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.