One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large white and pale grey gull breeding on Arctic coasts.
- ‘In the event of an oil spill, sea ducks are more vulnerable to contact oil than surface-feeding species, such as glaucous gulls.’
- ‘New gull species have occasionally shown up at the refuse dump/sewage lagoons while on migration (Thayer's gull, Iceland gull), or as nonbreeding juveniles in summer (glaucous gull).’
- ‘Mark and Alex took the lead in the kayaks, harried by pale glaucous gulls and the quick, forked-tailed arctic terns.’
- ‘Unlike other birds observed during these surveys, glaucous gulls occurred in significantly higher densities in June than in July and August.’
- ‘Below we report the geographic distribution of long-tailed ducks, eiders, scoters, glaucous gulls, and Pacific loons with respect to month and ice cover.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.