One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large white and pale grey gull breeding on Arctic coasts.
- ‘Unlike other birds observed during these surveys, glaucous gulls occurred in significantly higher densities in June than in July and August.’
- ‘Mark and Alex took the lead in the kayaks, harried by pale glaucous gulls and the quick, forked-tailed arctic terns.’
- ‘New gull species have occasionally shown up at the refuse dump/sewage lagoons while on migration (Thayer's gull, Iceland gull), or as nonbreeding juveniles in summer (glaucous gull).’
- ‘Below we report the geographic distribution of long-tailed ducks, eiders, scoters, glaucous gulls, and Pacific loons with respect to month and ice cover.’
- ‘In the event of an oil spill, sea ducks are more vulnerable to contact oil than surface-feeding species, such as glaucous gulls.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.