One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A pair of lenses set in a frame resting on the nose and ears, used to correct or assist defective eyesight.
- ‘Perched on her nose was a pair of wire frame glasses that were as much a part of her features as anything else about her face.’
- ‘She had thick framed, black glasses perched on her nose, and she was carrying a pile of dusty books.’
- ‘Corrective lenses such as contact lenses or glasses can usually correct vision in people with astigmatism.’
- ‘A pair of silver glasses framed her blue eyes and a nice blue dress covered her modestly but was still attractive.’
- ‘She must have been in her early forties, with short blonde hair and black-rimmed glasses resting on her nose.’
- ‘He wore a jersey over loose fitting khakis and had a pair of glasses on his nose.’
- ‘Thin oval glasses rested on his nose, and he looked over these with blue eyes.’
- ‘On reflex, she reached up and pushed the glasses resting on her nose up a bit further.’
- ‘She stood in the hallway in another one of her typical flowing dresses, her hair tied up this time and a small pair of silver glasses resting on her nose.’
- ‘His brown hair was cut short and messy, and a pair of horn-rimmed glasses balanced on his nose.’
- ‘She pushed her black plastic framed glasses up her nose and stared up at the guy who grinned at her.’
- ‘Silver framed glasses rested on the tip of her nose, her short hair being tousled by the brisk winds.’
- ‘He had thinned rimmed glasses resting on his nose to aid his grey eyes.’
- ‘David laughed at the idea, and Kate seemed to sigh before starting to massage the place at the bridge of her nose where her glasses rest.’
- ‘A woman with her hair pulled back into a bun and a pair of glasses across her nose, stands up, and heads to the podium.’
- ‘A huge pair of yellow-rimmed glasses rested on the tip of his nose.’
- ‘His black hair was spiked and a pair of yellow tinted glasses rested in front of his dark brown eyes.’
- ‘This teenager held a buff build and tall lean body with brown hair was spiked and wire frame glasses rested on his nose.’
- ‘People with long-sightedness usually need to wear corrective eyewear such as glasses or contact lenses to read, write and carry out detailed tasks.’
- ‘The girl fidgeted and pushed the small frames of her wire-rimmed glasses up her nose.’
- 1.1 A pair of binoculars.
- ‘Others around the rim of the valley took up the cry and commanders with binoculars trained their glasses on the sea.’
- ‘He pulled out a small pair of binoculars that doubled as night vision glasses and headed towards the edge of the rock face.’
- ‘Some of them would scan the beach with powerful binoculars and night glasses, focussing on the couples.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.