One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A legless burrowing lizard of snake-like appearance, with smooth, shiny skin and an easily detached tail, native to Eurasia, Africa, and America.Also called glass snake
- ‘However, unlike snakes, eastern glass lizards have movable eyelids and external ear openings.’
- ‘If a predator grabs on to it, the glass lizard can break off the part of the tail the predator is holding on to.’
- ‘At first glance a glass lizard may be mistaken for a snake, but they have distinct differences.’
- ‘The island glass lizard is a cryptic species and it is uncertain how widespread or common it is.’
- ‘The glass lizards get their name from their tails, which easily break off as if they were made of glass.’
- ‘Among the interesting species introduced in these pages is a glass lizard that can break its tail into pieces that keep moving and distract a predator.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.