Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] A strong plastic, textile, or other material containing embedded glass filaments for reinforcement.
- ‘The pylons were reconstructed according to historic as-built drawings but in glass fiber reinforced concrete, a new material resembling concrete but with greater tensile strength.’
- ‘The most important boron compound commercially is sodium borate, used in the manufacture of borosilicate glass, glass fiber insulation, and textile glass fiber.’
- ‘The prisoners made weapons out of anything they could lay their hands on - sharpening pens, pieces of glass fibre stolen from the workshops, wood, plates and phone cards to make a sharp edge.’
- ‘Reinforcements for modified bitumen are generally glass fiber or polyester.’
- ‘No ply, glass fibre or any other modern materials were employed.’
- ‘The AS 550 is of light construction based on a reinforced high strength glass fibre and aramid airframe.’
- ‘Nowadays it is possible to obtain facsimile reproductions of these downpipe (and other rainwater goods) profiles in reinforced glass fibre material.’
- ‘The material contains both glass fiber and mineral reinforcements.’
- ‘The cockpit includes glass fibre and epoxy materials.’
- ‘It consists of a double outer-layer of metallized polyester film with a double inner layer of reinforced glass fiber filament.’
- ‘Deng added that if the head sculpture is made of glass fiber reinforced plastic, the price is cheaper, ranging from 6,000 yuan to 7,000 yuan.’
- ‘The hulls are laminated inside and outside with fibre reinforced plastic composed of glass fibre and carbon laminates bound with vinyl ester and polyester resin.’
- ‘Installations for the manufacture of glass including glass fibre with a melting capacity exceeding 20 tonnes per day’
- ‘Composite materials, Kevlar and glass fibre have been used extensively in the construction of the wing and tail leading and trailing edges, engine nacelles and the nose radome.’
- ‘This is a completely integrated system using the high-temperature glass fiber material, tailor made muffler filling machinery and a cost effective filling process.’
- ‘The handle is made of a ‘highly engineered plastic’ with 30 percent glass fiber and is checkered and grooved in the right places for a firm, safe grip.’
- ‘The door may be glass fibre, but it shuts with a reassuring clunk.’
- ‘By volume the mix is approximately half glass fiber and half cement mortar.’
- ‘The program is focusing on a thermoforming process using glass fiber reinforced polyamide, PBT (polybutylene terephthalate) and polystyrene resins in order to reduce production cycle times.’
- ‘Made from 115 rings of tough resin laced with glass fibre it continues to give adequate roadholding characteristics, even when shot with a rifle.’
- 1.1[count noun]A filament of glass.‘thin glass fibres glued together with a resin’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.