One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An infectious viral disease characterized by swelling of the lymph glands and prolonged lassitude. Also called infectious mononucleosis.
- ‘In addition to its role in glandular fever the Epstein-Barr virus is also associated with several different neoplasms.’
- ‘Some viral illnesses, such as glandular fever, can cause overwhelming tiredness that takes months to settle.’
- ‘Also hepatitis B, glandular fever and intestinal parasites have been associated.’
- ‘She had suffered from glandular fever, migraine and scoliosis (curvature of the spine), and thought she had a brain tumour.’
- ‘The glandular fever virus can also be a cause of hepatitis.’
- ‘Epstein-Barr virus is very common and transmissible virus in the herpes family that causes infectious mononucleosis.’
- ‘Typical features of infectious mononucleosis include fever, pharyngitis, adenopathy, malaise, and an atypical lymphocytosis.’
- ‘She was diagnosed with liver damage almost a year ago, and has also suffered from extreme tiredness and a series of illnesses including chicken pox, tonsillitis, flu and glandular fever.’
- ‘When they do happen, they are similar to other viral infections such as glandular fever.’
- ‘Symptoms tend to resemble the flu or infectious mononucleosis (swollen glands, fatigue, muscle aches, malaise, fever).’
- ‘Herpes viruses, including the one that causes glandular fever (Epstein-Barr virus), are the second most common cause of viral meningitis.’
- ‘Say hello to glandular fever, infectious mononucelosis, kissing disease.’
- ‘Many people, especially children, have few or no noticeable symptoms of glandular fever.’
- ‘A negative result of an antibody test, particularly during the first week of illness, may indicate that the patient does not have infectious mononucleosis.’
- ‘A person with glandular fever is most infectious when they have a fever (high temperature).’
- ‘The disease may be indistinguishable from infectious mononucleosis.’
- ‘Mononucleosis hepatitis occurs in approximately 10 percent of cases of infectious mononucleosis.’
- ‘Recognition that the spleen had ruptured was delayed because of the patient's stable clinical condition and lack of coexisting symptoms of infectious mononucleosis.’
- ‘And so if you've had say, hepatitis or glandular fever and you're feeling tired or fatigued afterwards, is that Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?’
- ‘In infectious mononucleosis, the Epstein-Barr virus primarily infects B lymphocytes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.