One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An infectious viral disease characterized by swelling of the lymph glands and prolonged lassitude. Also called infectious mononucleosis.
- ‘Some viral illnesses, such as glandular fever, can cause overwhelming tiredness that takes months to settle.’
- ‘When they do happen, they are similar to other viral infections such as glandular fever.’
- ‘Recognition that the spleen had ruptured was delayed because of the patient's stable clinical condition and lack of coexisting symptoms of infectious mononucleosis.’
- ‘The glandular fever virus can also be a cause of hepatitis.’
- ‘She had suffered from glandular fever, migraine and scoliosis (curvature of the spine), and thought she had a brain tumour.’
- ‘Symptoms tend to resemble the flu or infectious mononucleosis (swollen glands, fatigue, muscle aches, malaise, fever).’
- ‘Mononucleosis hepatitis occurs in approximately 10 percent of cases of infectious mononucleosis.’
- ‘Many people, especially children, have few or no noticeable symptoms of glandular fever.’
- ‘Herpes viruses, including the one that causes glandular fever (Epstein-Barr virus), are the second most common cause of viral meningitis.’
- ‘The disease may be indistinguishable from infectious mononucleosis.’
- ‘She was diagnosed with liver damage almost a year ago, and has also suffered from extreme tiredness and a series of illnesses including chicken pox, tonsillitis, flu and glandular fever.’
- ‘And so if you've had say, hepatitis or glandular fever and you're feeling tired or fatigued afterwards, is that Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?’
- ‘Say hello to glandular fever, infectious mononucelosis, kissing disease.’
- ‘A negative result of an antibody test, particularly during the first week of illness, may indicate that the patient does not have infectious mononucleosis.’
- ‘A person with glandular fever is most infectious when they have a fever (high temperature).’
- ‘In infectious mononucleosis, the Epstein-Barr virus primarily infects B lymphocytes.’
- ‘Typical features of infectious mononucleosis include fever, pharyngitis, adenopathy, malaise, and an atypical lymphocytosis.’
- ‘In addition to its role in glandular fever the Epstein-Barr virus is also associated with several different neoplasms.’
- ‘Also hepatitis B, glandular fever and intestinal parasites have been associated.’
- ‘Epstein-Barr virus is very common and transmissible virus in the herpes family that causes infectious mononucleosis.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.