Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or affecting a gland or glands.
- ‘The prostate is a glandular, fibromuscular organ that lies at the base of the bladder and surrounds the urethra.’
- ‘The glandular epithelium secretes a mucoid fluid rich in glycogen.’
- ‘HIV may manifest as a glandular fever-like illness with seroconversion.’
- ‘This includes those of the parasympathetic nervous system in the heart, glandular tissue, and smooth muscle.’
- ‘In hypertrophie gastritis, there is usually considerable chronic inflammation and glandular atrophy.’
- ‘Both squamous and glandular cancers can arise in the cervix.’
- ‘Barrett's mucosa was reported if glandular mucosa was present in a biopsy sample from the oesophagus.’
- ‘All 8 previously reported cases and the present case showed a variable degree of glandular atrophy.’
- ‘Histologically, the tumor showed glandular and solid architecture.’
- ‘In light of the cyst recurrence and the glandular tumor in the spleen, a distal pancreatectomy was performed.’
- ‘Areas of glandular and squamous differentiation can be present.’
- ‘The diagnosis is made when elements of squamous or glandular differentiation cannot be proven.’
- ‘Further studies are needed to more clearly define the association between oral contraceptives and glandular lesions.’
- ‘Typical cuboidal prostatic glandular epithelium lined most of the glands.’
- ‘The glandular epithelium resembles that seen in apocrine sweat glands.’
- ‘The true origin of the glandular neoplasms of the external ear canal is controversial.’
- ‘The prostate specimen showed glandular and stromal hyperplasia.’
- ‘Microscopically, the tumor is characterized by glandular or ductal structures with variable organization.’
- ‘Normal and hyperplastic glandular epithelium present in the biopsies was counted as an internal control.’
- ‘Tonsils are glandular tissue located on both sides of the throat.’
Mid 18th century: from French glandulaire, from glandule gland, from Latin glandulae (see gland).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.