Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A fashionable, attractive young woman, especially a model or film star.
- ‘I turned to see a little glamour girl of three or so in a backless pink sundress and long gold tresses.’
- ‘Sandra's not your typical glamour girl in couture dresses.’
- ‘She could have been just a cover girl and a glamour girl and on rich men's yachts, which, of course, was an image that was painted at the time.’
- ‘If you thought that it was a ceremony attended by a glamour girl of filmdom, you are wrong.’
- ‘I've always had a soft spot for Crawford in the 1950s, when she was vainly hanging on to the glamour girl image just as her key light got brighter and the camera lens got softer.’
- ‘Showstopping nails are the icing on a glamour girl's cake’
- ‘A glamour girl to the core, she was the first woman I knew to wear colored contact lenses.’
- ‘Apparently, the summer before her senior year, she blossomed into a glamour girl.’
- ‘As Cassie looked at her self in the guise of a glamour girl, she felt a bit disjointed.’
- ‘She was impeccable, a true glamour girl, from her long, gorgeous red hair, to her carefully made-up face and sophisticated clothes.’
- ‘Most wives put up antennas when a glamor girl enters the scene.’
- ‘She moved to London, where she became housekeeper to an ageing Hollywood glamour girl who claimed Clark Gable among her lovers.’
- ‘She has the willingness and joy to embrace this character in a deep way and not be treated as a glamour girl.’
- ‘After finishing 10th and qualifying to three event finals at the World Championships, rhythmic's glamour girl called it quits.’
- ‘While she still holds on firmly to her glamour girl image, she guarantees entertainment.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.