One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An open-toed T-bar sandal with multiple straps running across the foot in a style designed to resemble that of the footwear of ancient Roman gladiators.
- ‘I do not consider crocodile print gladiator sandals to be part of my "essential spring casuals".’
- ‘The fashion section leads in with a model in gladiator sandals, shorts, a metallic bag and printed top.’
- ‘Cardigans, wispy slip dresses, flared jeans and dainty shoes have been dispensed with in favour of boxy biker jackets, mean-looking suits, skinny drainpipes and gladiator sandals with killer heels.’
- ‘Wearing a strapless white top and towering in silver gladiator sandals, she badgered a video producer who had promised her copies of photos he had taken weeks earlier.’
- ‘Flats and gladiator sandals are fine, but plastic?’
- ‘Perhaps finish whatever outfit you choose with some gladiator sandals.’
- ‘I got a pair of gold gladiator sandals, a white jumper (sweater), and a cute purple clutch, all for about 13 pounds.’
- ‘You're guilty of setting fashion-forward trends, and this gladiator sandal is proof.’
- ‘More recently, however, with the rise of 'retro' gladiator sandals, flares, hippie prints, Empire lines and the like I've found myself, unexpectedly, at the cutting edge of what's hot.’
- ‘Madison fashion is this month advocating prints, thick straps with square/asymmetrical necklines, playsuits, safari style, boho glamour, gladiator sandals, chic leisure wear, tie-dye pieces and flattering underwear.’
- ‘'Your 2009 Beach Essentials' is a tight, eight-page edit of hats, sunnies, gladiator sandals, beach bags, bikinis, tees, towels, watches, short shorts, beach umbrellas and beach reads.’
- ‘It is a gladiator sandal that can easily be dressed up or worn casually.’
- ‘"The first time I saw Donna, in the summer of 1966, she was sitting on her mother's front stoop in a ribbed cotton tank top, shorty hot pants, with gladiator sandals laced up to her shins, a ponytail sticking up from her head, and false lashes."’
- ‘I wore gladiator sandals, a white mini and a red duffle.’
- ‘One of the nicest styles that you can get is the gladiator sandal, which is really coming back into style this summer.’
- ‘The writing is on the wall: the flip-flop is dead, for the gladiator sandal has taken over the world.’
- ‘Follow the trend lead of all the pretty young things in SoHo - a curvy knee-length LBD and a fab pair of flipflops, or even some laced gladiator sandals.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.