One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The smooth part of the forehead above and between the eyebrows.
- ‘The reduced occipital muscle scars are placed on a much lower level than both the glabella and the occipital ring.’
- ‘Many trilobites also possessed an extended frontal area anterior of the glabella, but expression of segmentation within this region was also unclear.’
- ‘The first third is the span between the hairline and the glabella area, the second is between the glabella and subnasale and the remaining is between the subnasale and menton.’
- ‘Antennae were apparently braced to the dorsal exoskeleton near the anterior lateral corners of the glabella (the stomach capsule).’
- ‘The anterior border and preocular areas extend laterally farther beyond the sides of the glabella, and are clearly visible in the palpebral view.’
Early 19th century: modern Latin, from Latin glabellus (adjective), diminutive of glaber ‘smooth’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.