One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Allow (a particular emotion or opinion) to be expressed.‘he allowed the crowd to give voice to their frustrations’
expression, utterance, verbalization, vocalization, airingexpress, give expression to, vocalize, give voice to, put in words, give utterance to, communicate, declare, state, set forth, bring into the open, make public, assert, divulge, reveal, proclaim, announce, raise, table, air, ventilate, vent, give vent to, pour out, mention, talk of, point out, go intoView synonyms
- ‘The idea seems to be that if one doesn't actually give voice to opinions then it's perfectly possible for listeners or viewers to believe that one might not have them at all.’
- ‘I thought of myself as being a means to give voice to the Native community.’
- ‘The valuable role of civil society in giving voice to communities that governments cannot reach is also recognized, but its relationship with government and business is often characterized more by conflict than cooperation.’
- ‘The campaign to amplify parent voices must focus on giving voice to each individual parent, not on enhancing the role of an allegedly representative group.’
- ‘Woods turns away from the camera in the attempt to hide his annoyance, Sutton's head low to his chest, DiMarco trying unsuccessfully to find a way of giving voice to the huge American crowd.’
- ‘It helps us to express ourselves - give voice to what we feel, think, see, believe, hope and desire.’
- ‘The assumption of many contemporaries and later historians has been that Aitken and other Chartist leaders gave voice to and expressed the will of ‘the people’ on these occasions.’
- ‘Should we start to close down the internet, that great forum of free expression which is continually giving voice to the sad, the lonely and the downright insane?’
- ‘They give voice to a lot of voices that don't otherwise get heard.’
- ‘It's about making connections, having an awareness of one's heritage, and giving voice to different communities and their struggles against authority.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.