One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
die, lose one's life, be killed, fall, expire, meet one's death, be lost, lay down one's life, breathe one's last, draw one's last breath, pass away, go the way of all flesh, give up the ghost, go to glory, meet one's maker, go to one's last resting place, cross the great divideView synonyms
- ‘The tree lasted until March and then suddenly, inexplicably, gave up the ghost (and the majority of its needles) and expired.’
- ‘The tulips almost got to flowering but then seemed to give up the ghost, go pale and slowly fall over.’
- 1.1 (of a machine) stop working.
break down, break, stop working, cease to function, cut out, stop, stall, crash, give outView synonyms
- ‘It took us the best part of five hours just to reach Birmingham, and by the time we'd reached the Scottish border, the car was screaming for mercy and the battery was giving up the ghost.’
- ‘As if all of this weren't enough, my coffee machine gave up the ghost yesterday.’
- ‘My faithful tumble dryer is giving up the ghost, and its sad death rattles are breaking my purse.’
- ‘Yesterday Dave's PC gave up the ghost and just crashed - no power, no response from the on/off button, nothing wrong with the external power supply or cable.’
- ‘Having queued for 45 minutes to get money, the three bank machines each give up the ghost.’
- ‘For example, they can look after you when an unexpected car repair bill crops up or when your washing machine finally decides to give up the ghost after fifteen years of loyal and faithful service.’
- ‘If your washing machine gives up the ghost after two years and has been subject to normal use, you're entitled to a free repair.’
- ‘With impeccable timing my sewing machine has chosen now to give up the ghost.’
- ‘On Monday of last week, the ailing machine gave up the ghost leaving the hospital without the capacity to carry out even the most basic diagnostic tests.’
- ‘You know the sort of thing: you lose your job; the boiler gives up the ghost; your car breaks down; a huge bill arrives; and so on.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.