One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Reject or dismiss someone.‘I tried to get her to give him the elbow’‘she decided to give tradition the elbow’
dismiss, axe, give someone notice, make redundant, throw out, get rid of, lay off, let go, dischargeView synonyms
- ‘I have been married for 17 years, and I am not planning to give him the elbow.’
- ‘But there's a few loyal sons eager to give her the elbow.’
- ‘You should give pain the elbow.’
- ‘This reviewer gives the all inclusive buffet the elbow.’
- ‘He had turned bitter when she gave him the elbow for another man, and bombarded her with silent phone calls until police warned him off.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.