One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Scold or punish someone.‘I'm gonna give it to you like my daddy gave it to me!’
penalize, discipline, mete out punishment to, bring someone to book, teach someone a lesson, make an example ofView synonyms
- ‘In the Bahamas when all sides are giving it to you, and the protests are loud and vociferous from the right, the left and the middle, chances are that you are doing something right.’
- ‘A psychologist claimed the crimes were committed by kids whose parents didn't give it to them.’
- ‘She was always giving it to him about the radishes and the vegetable skins in the garbage disposal.’
- ‘I got the service department today and really gave it to them.’
- ‘My father will give it to you if he finds me alive. I am his only daughter.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.