Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A chanterelle mushroom.[as modifier] ‘roasted leg of wild rabbit in a girolle sauce’
- ‘I love wild mushrooms and in particular, chanterelles (or girolles in French).’
- ‘There was a very cute pumpkin and girolle soup.’
- ‘Everything was food and I had my calendar and my own secret maps; I knew where the morels would be, the girolles, or the petit gris.’
- ‘We added another dimension by rolling out brioche mix like a piece of shortcrust and adding some wonderful girolle mushrooms and then rolling it up like a swiss roll.’
- ‘The waiter announced with the stunned air of a man imparting news of a bereavement that due to a problem with supplies, the girolle mushrooms on the menu were in fact morels.’
- ‘It changes monthly and features dishes such as roast monkfish with girolles and baby leeks, and grilled free-range pork chops with bubble-and-squeak and roast carrots.’
- ‘Angela invites me to spend a day at the Connaught where I am allowed to gut partridges, prep beef and veal fillets and trim girolles.’
- ‘My mission is to make one of his signature dishes - a cappuccino of haricots blancs with sauteed girolles and grated truffle - and get an insight into the bad-boy of British haute cuisine.’
- ‘This was perfectly cooked medium rare, the earthy girolles working well with the breadth of truffle and quality meat.’
- ‘No rolled loin of lamb with grain mustard, crisp pancetta and girolle mushrooms for me, then.’
- ‘Add the girolles and cook for 2 minutes.’
- ‘Deeply trendy, urban cuisine features the likes of rack of lamb with caramelised endives and steamed halibut with girolles, spring leeks, white wine and cream.’
- ‘My favourite wild mushrooms are ceps and chanterelles or girolles.’
- ‘Wild mushrooms, such as chanterelles or girolles, taste delicious cooked with egg.’
- ‘An egg is poached in a sort of creamy girolles mushroom soup, and served in a cocktail glass.’
- ‘Tender, succulent and with its subtle flavour enhanced by girolles and foie gras, it was served just as it should be.’
- ‘There is also a Menu Gourmand featuring onion ice cream with balsamic vinegar, and roasted Bresse pigeon with girolles and baby onion.’
- ‘My dining companion and I elected to begin with foie gras ballottine with truffled cauliflower and white peach soup, and rump of veal with pickled girolles, green leaf salad, tomato and tarragon dressing.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.