Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An intense and typically non-sexual liking or admiration felt by one woman or girl for another:‘OMG, I have had a girl crush on her for years!’
- ‘The experts were headed by Professor Tanya Byron, on whom I have the most almighty girl crush.’
- ‘I've had a girl crush on Penelope for years, based more on her style than acting prowess, so already I'm sold.’
- ‘The fact that she is plastered all over the nominations list means I can feed my girl crush for the next two hours.’
- ‘I have a new girl crush and it's on Luella.’
- ‘I have a serious girl crush on Emma Stone.’
- ‘As soon as I meet Savannah, I develop a girl crush on her.’
- ‘I still have a girl crush on Sarah Jessica Parker.’
- ‘I think I'm developing a girl crush on you!’
- ‘I had my first girl crush when I was in college.’
- ‘I confess, after reading about you in this month's issue of Madison, I have developed a bit of a girl crush.’
- 1.1 A woman or girl who is the object of another's intense liking or admiration:‘Cheryl admitted that RiRi was her girl crush’
- ‘Flick past the fashion pages and you'll find a story on LA party promoter Bolthouse and his fiancee (and my new girl crush) Emma Heming.’
- ‘This may seem like a lot of trouble to go for a girl crush, but I assure you: my dedication is real.’
- ‘My girl crush this week is Marie Claire's own cover star Marion Cotillard.’
- ‘We've already asked you who your favorite tween girl crush is.’
- ‘A thinking woman's woman (and long-time girl crush of mine), Weisz is described by Vogue as "the most interesting girl-next-door you'll ever meet".’
- ‘Major girl crush potential, she's the kind of girl you'd turn your head to look at so you could get a second glance at what she was wearing.’
- ‘She was my number one girl crush until she married my number one boy crush.’
- ‘Wood used to work alongside my girl crush Sonia Kruger, and now he's busy with multiple projects, including interviewing the likes of moi.’
- ‘Girls risk getting into Single White Female territory when they start to become jealous or let their girl crush take advantage of them.’
- ‘By now you must know that you are my number one girl crush.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.