One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1archaic A maker of girdles.
2An insect that removes rings of bark from trees.in combination ‘a twig-girdler’
- ‘Pecan girdlers also are busy this time of year, girdling pencil-size or slightly larger branches.’
- ‘In most cases, squirrels and twig girdlers do not pose serious harm to your trees.’
- ‘The twig girdler is a long-horned, wood-boring beetle that lives in many hardwoods in Florida but does not cause serious damage.’
- ‘Longhorned beetles known as twig girdlers are now laying eggs in the small branches of many hardwood trees.’
- ‘Activity and habits of the twig girdler in Alabama have been noted and recorded periodically over several years.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.