One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Diarrhoea affecting visitors to hot countries.
- ‘We were all suffering from ‘gyppy tummy’, which is not pleasant at the best of times.’
- ‘I still have a gyppy tummy so have been going easy on the food.’
- ‘He was usually the team member to suffer least from gippy tummy when on Himalayan expeditions.’
- ‘Unaccustomed food, different water, too much sun, too much alcohol and quite frequently too much of everything else, including stress, leads to gyppy tummy.’
- ‘Symptoms are similar to gippy tummy but the condition persists and can cause serious damage.’
1940s: gippy, abbreviation of Egyptian.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.