One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A deciduous Chinese tree related to the conifers, with fan-shaped leaves and yellow flowers. It has a number of primitive features and is similar to some Jurassic fossils.
Ginkgo biloba, the only living member of the family Ginkgoaceae and order Ginkgoales, class ConiferopsidaAlso called maidenhair tree
- ‘Many of the plants are endangered species, including the dove tree and the ginkgo.’
- ‘Investigators have suggested that these fossils represent new growth from cycads, deciduous trees, ginkgos and, most commonly, conifer trees.’
- ‘Plant life consisted mainly of ferns and seed-ferns, with new plants like conifers and ginkgos coming into prominence.’
- ‘The scientists analysed fossils of gingkoes and ferns that were growing at the time to estimate the amount of carbon dioxide that was in the air.’
- ‘On land, the vegetation generally consisted of conifers, cycads, ginkgos, ferns and horsetails.’
Late 18th century: from Japanese ginkyō, from Chinese yínxìng.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.