One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Concerned with the gums.‘the gingival tissues’
- ‘Toothbrushes are more effective in plaque removal and gingival stimulation than are foam swabs, and toothbrushes are generally regarded as the best tool for oral care in healthy populations.’
- ‘It is a variation of growth and development and can affect a person's bite, ability to clean teeth properly, gingival health, jaw growth, speech development, and appearance.’
- ‘Fractures of the root usually require a radiograph for detection unless the tooth is particularly loose and the fracture occurred close to the gingival margin.’
- ‘Other signs can include gingival oedema, periodontitis and adenopathy.’
- ‘Lesions on children classically involve the buccal and gingival mucosa.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin gingiva ‘gum’ + -al.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.