Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A cloudy effervescent drink made from a mixture of root or ground ginger and syrup.
- ‘A typical Creole dish is stewed chicken, white rice, red beans, fried plantains, and homemade ginger beer.’
- ‘The flavour of ginger can be enjoyed in candied ginger, ginger ale, and Jamaican ginger beer.’
- ‘Making ginger beer was popular pastime in grandmother's day; many of us remember the explosive brews that left shattered glass littering the kitchen floor.’
- ‘He asks for a ginger beer to drink, and ruffles his thinning hair messily as he ponders each question.’
- ‘Budding ginger beer makers should start brewing now to enter the amateur winemaking and brewing section.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.