One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A run-down or seedy nightclub or bar.
- ‘I usually had to argue, cajole, persuade, and, as a last resort, grovel, to get my dad to take me with him to the neighborhood gin mill, to watch the Friday Night Fights on TV.’
- ‘Eight years later he found himself living at the home of a waitress who served at the gin mill he frequented.’
- ‘You'll meet cruising sailors from all over the world, a few ex-pats who now run some very cool gin mills, and lots of friendly locals with some excellent stories to tell.’
- ‘The lad grew up and discovered in gin mills that he had real talent for bar fights.’
- ‘‘You couldn't walk a block without a gin mill,’ he recalls.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.