One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A run-down or seedy nightclub or bar.
- ‘I usually had to argue, cajole, persuade, and, as a last resort, grovel, to get my dad to take me with him to the neighborhood gin mill, to watch the Friday Night Fights on TV.’
- ‘Eight years later he found himself living at the home of a waitress who served at the gin mill he frequented.’
- ‘‘You couldn't walk a block without a gin mill,’ he recalls.’
- ‘You'll meet cruising sailors from all over the world, a few ex-pats who now run some very cool gin mills, and lots of friendly locals with some excellent stories to tell.’
- ‘The lad grew up and discovered in gin mills that he had real talent for bar fights.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.