One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
attributive Made of wood and gilded.‘an 18th-century carved giltwood chair’
- ‘As for the George II Chinoiserie giltwood overmantel mirror by sold by Christie's New York on 3 June, it had it all.’
- ‘He may also have supplied its elaborate giltwood stand and glass shade at the same time.’
- ‘The gallery still houses one of the finest surviving suites of Regency giltwood furniture made to commemorate Lord Nelson and his victories.’
- ‘The show will feature exquisite items from the eighteenth to the early twentieth century, including silver, giltwood and crystal chandeliers, sconces and girandoles, candelabra and candlesticks.’
- ‘The pieces on show add to our knowledge of contemporary craftsman and cabinetmakers, particularly the work of the relatively little known Robert Campbell, who most probably supplied many of the giltwood pieces for these rooms.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.