One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fishing net which is hung vertically so that fish get trapped in it by their gills.
- ‘The main focus of most efforts to restrict gear is the gill net, considered to be the main cause of the depletion of local fisheries.’
- ‘Fishermen use weirs, traps, gill nets, and dip nets for alewives, which they consider one of the easiest fish to catch.’
- ‘Bat rays are often caught in trawling and gill nets as unwanted by-catch.’
- ‘Speaking as a former bailiff in the region, I can assure you that many island crofters prefer the use of a gill net to a fishing rod.’
- ‘The monofilament gill net is an unforgiving device, designed to snag and tear the gills.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.