One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A flap of skin protecting a fish's gills, typically stiffened by bony plates.Also called operculum
- ‘The gill cover and dorsal, pelvic, anal, and caudal fins possess large red blotches.’
- ‘Next, place two fingers just into the gill cover and slide the fingers forward until you reach the jaw bone.’
- ‘A similar species is the stargazer, which has two venomous spines, one each side behind the gill covers.’
- ‘The opercular series comprises each gill cover and generally consists of four bones.’
- ‘The gill covers are also armoured with sharp edges that can draw blood if handled without care.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.