One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A flap of skin protecting a fish's gills, typically stiffened by bony plates.Also called operculum
- ‘Next, place two fingers just into the gill cover and slide the fingers forward until you reach the jaw bone.’
- ‘A similar species is the stargazer, which has two venomous spines, one each side behind the gill covers.’
- ‘The gill covers are also armoured with sharp edges that can draw blood if handled without care.’
- ‘The opercular series comprises each gill cover and generally consists of four bones.’
- ‘The gill cover and dorsal, pelvic, anal, and caudal fins possess large red blotches.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.