One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A light sleeveless padded jacket.
- ‘The obligatory items are a very, very long scarf and a suede sheepskin or canvas gilet.’
- ‘From the inside pocket of his gilet he drew a black piece of cloth.’
- ‘We are also selling many gilets this autumn which allow people warmth with out the encumbrance of a jacket.’
- ‘Mrs Todd recommends a gilet, smart trousers and a T-shirt for chic and practical show wear.’
- ‘Little denim waistcoats will soon be on the high street replacing the winter fake-fur gilet - great for layering with T-shirt or vintage-style top.’
Late 19th century: French, ‘waistcoat’, from Spanish jileco, from Turkish yelek.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.