One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A luxurious but restrictive environment.‘this child of privilege is stretching the bars of his gilded cage’‘only a bird in a gilded cage’
- ‘So many people envied me, but they didn't realize that I was just a pretty bird in a gilded cage.’
- ‘For a moment, the gilded cage looked pretty enticing from the outside.’
- ‘In private she was known occasionally to express a measure of frustration over the gilded cage in which she lived, but in public she carried that burden lightly.’
- ‘At first she did fight back, but I eventually succeeded in breaking her down into my submissive wife, a bird trapped in a gilded cage.’
- ‘The price you pay for this perfection is isolation: you are effectively a prisoner in a gilded cage.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.