One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Try to improve what is already beautiful or excellent.
- ‘Yes, the producers gild the lily when they claim to be ‘now, for the first time’ revealing things about the five leaders being examined.’
- ‘They believe they are right, and have never gilded the lily.’
- ‘It is not necessary to gild the lily by over ornate presentation.’
- ‘‘Today we were magnificent,’ said O'Neill. somewhat gilding the lily.’
- ‘I will not gild the lily; I will say exactly what happened.’
- ‘I feel that commenting on this response would be gilding the lily.’
- ‘If you want to gild the lily, scatter over grated cheddar cheese and return to oven until oozy and golden brown.’
- ‘But all of them simply gild the lily.’
- ‘I like his playing, and he is a fine musician, but sometimes it feels like he is gilding the lily in these performances.’
- ‘But I'm not gilding the lily, I truly thought it was impossible, and I refused to address myself emotionally.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.