One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A voucher given as a present which is exchangeable for goods.
- ‘Adults boarding the airline's new airbus fleet to its five destinations in Europe, get a free gift voucher worth $35 and children, $20.’
- ‘A house-warming gift voucher bought me two garden chairs for the kitchen until the proper ones arrive.’
- ‘You could consider giving them a gift voucher to a favourite shop.’
- ‘They later discovered it was because she'd already won the contest bagging herself a gift voucher for the store and a place in the regional finals.’
- ‘The resolution states that in such cases, no VAT is due on the supply of gift vouchers and that VAT is due only when the gift voucher is used for payment for goods or services.’
- ‘I was presented with a lovely bouquet of flowers, given a gift voucher to spend and someone took me round the store in a wheelchair.’
- ‘First prize is a £50 gift voucher to spend in store, and one runner-up will receive an arrangement of flowers, worth £20.’
- ‘Further more, if you pop your name and daytime telephone number below, you will also be entered into a raffle for a £50 gift voucher when you hand it in.’
- ‘She was presented with a £50 gift voucher and a framed copy of her winning entry at the civic centre on Friday.’
- ‘All her clients also receive a quarterly newsletter, a birthday gift voucher and monthly special offers.’
- ‘In a study, subjects were offered the choice of a gift token that could be used immediately or another that was worth more later.’
- ‘Another colleague and neighbour, Joe Boyle, presented Paddy with a holiday gift voucher and a fishing rod.’
- ‘The King then presented me with a gift token of £2.’
- ‘The caller will then ask the person to confirm their postcode and when this is done, the caller will say the person has become eligible for a gift voucher in appreciation of their co-operation.’
- ‘She had a gift voucher for two free tickets to a movie.’
- ‘I've even secured a gift voucher and bottle of bubbly for friends I always forget.’
- ‘Why not get them a gift voucher or make them a friend of the gallery for a year.’
- ‘You can imagine my delight when, later in the week, I was presented with a surprise gift voucher for a full aromatherapy treatment.’
- ‘The chairman presented Mrs Cross with a gift token in thanking her for all the hard work.’
- ‘However, as a gesture of goodwill, we are giving both the girls a £10 gift voucher.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.