One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(in the Bible) an Israelite leader, described in Judges 6:11 ff.
2A member of Gideons International.
- ‘He is a member of the well-known Bible-distributing organization, the Gideons.’
- ‘Maybe Gary didn't mention this but we're the ones who have the development deal with the Gideons.’
- ‘He praises the Gideons, then advises: ‘They should leave not only Bibles, but other sacred writings as well.’’
- ‘In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Gideons or to a charity of one's choice.’
- ‘The Gideons provide Bibles, in about 70 languages, for schools and hotels all over the world.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.