One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Infection of the intestine with a flagellate protozoan, which causes diarrhoea and other symptoms.
The protozoan is Giardia lamblia, phylum Metamonada, kingdom Protista
- ‘Medicinal herbs can be used to both alleviate the symptoms of giardiasis and clear the infection.’
- ‘A child who has diarrhea from giardiasis may lose too much fluid in the stool and become dehydrated.’
- ‘A history of gradual onset of a mild diarrhea helps differentiate giardiasis or other parasite infections from bacterial etiologies.’
- ‘If your diarrhea lasts more than one week after returning, parasites such as giardiasis or amebiasis should be looked for.’
- ‘Local health hazards such as rabies, Lyme disease, giardiasis and maybe other problems need extra planning.’
Early 20th century: from modern Latin Giardia (from the name of Alfred M. Giard (1846–1908), French biologist) + -asis.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.