Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A very large tortoise with a long lifespan, occurring on several tropical oceanic islands.→ tortoise
- ‘The third aquarium would house more than 50 species of freshwater sharks and rays, as well as enclosures for Komodo dragons and giant tortoises.’
- ‘They are home to sea lions, penguins, flamingos, iguanas, giant tortoises, and many other animals.’
- ‘Darwin also learned that locals could tell from which islands giant tortoises had come by the shapes of the reptiles' shells.’
- ‘At least six species, including a giant tortoise, are represented.’
- ‘This past year, I decided to return to the Galapagos for an intense four-month photo session among old friends such as giant tortoises, marine iguanas, and blue-footed boobies.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.