Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A very large tortoise with a long lifespan, occurring on several tropical oceanic islands.
- ‘At least six species, including a giant tortoise, are represented.’
- ‘The third aquarium would house more than 50 species of freshwater sharks and rays, as well as enclosures for Komodo dragons and giant tortoises.’
- ‘Darwin also learned that locals could tell from which islands giant tortoises had come by the shapes of the reptiles' shells.’
- ‘This past year, I decided to return to the Galapagos for an intense four-month photo session among old friends such as giant tortoises, marine iguanas, and blue-footed boobies.’
- ‘They are home to sea lions, penguins, flamingos, iguanas, giant tortoises, and many other animals.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.