Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large edible freshwater fish that is native to Asia. It is widely farmed there and has been introduced elsewhere.
- ‘It really is impressive to see a huge shoals of giant pacus, giant gouramis and pangasius all swimming around.’
- ‘Your tank won't hold those two giant gourami for long though.’
- ‘Not sure if they had the giant gouramis when I was there though.’
- ‘In the Tropics giant gouramis are kept as pond fish, where they are a more appropriate alternative to goldfish or koi.’
- ‘Many Indian species like catfish, dwarf and giant gourami, and barbs are popular abroad and fetch good prices.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.