Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A very large bivalve mollusc that occurs in the tropical Indo-Pacific.→ clam
- ‘Whales, sea turtles, crocodiles, giant clams, manta rays, and dugongs also ply the peninsula's waters.’
- ‘Here giant clams gape widely, waiting for a meal.’
- ‘The red-plumed tubeworms and giant clams were nowhere to be seen.’
- ‘We found many beautiful hard corals and a fair number of soft corals and colorful giant clams.’
- ‘The photograph below actually depicts a giant clam, Tridacna, from the south Pacific, but notice the pink encrusting material on the outsides of the shell.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.