One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large insectivorous mammal with long, coarse fur, large claws, an elongated snout, and a long tongue for catching ants. It is native to Central and South America.
- ‘The giant anteater of South America is about the size of a German shepherd dog.’
- ‘The thrust of Tompkins' activity is conservation, built around a 30-year management plan that foresees the eventual creation of another national park and the reintroduction of such species as the giant anteater, river otter and jaguar.’
- ‘They also take some beetle larvae and bees, and in captivity giant anteaters accept some fruit.’
- ‘In Brazil's Pantanal, South America's largest wetlands, you'll stalk giant anteaters, armadillos, maned wolves, and jaguars.’
- ‘Wheeling his truck along rutted savanna trails, he found giant anteaters, monk parakeets, and a pair of crab-eating foxes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.