One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Ritual washing of the whole body, as prescribed by Islamic law to be performed in preparation for prayer and worship, and after sexual activity, childbirth, menstruation, etc.Compare with wudu
- ‘Muslims have the custom of ghusl, washing of the whole body, recommended, for example, before touching the holy Koran.’
- ‘Have you ever thought where do the poor, living in one room houses or even those residing in congested flats manage to give the dead a decent ghusl?’
- ‘She may not offer the two rak'ats nafil salat of Ihram until she is fully clean and performed the obligatory ghusl.’
- ‘It is related from Aisha that the Prophet would rise in the morning on a fasting day and then would perform ghusl (bathing).’
- ‘Menstruating or post-partum women have to postpone the Tawaaf till they can perform ghusl.’
Arabic ġusl ‘washing’, from ġasala ‘to wash’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.