Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A story about ghosts, intended to be frightening.
- ‘I think one episode involved a ghost story in a park.’
- ‘In this case a modern Tokyo apartment building becomes the setting for a ghost story told in the time-honoured Japanese confessional style.’
- ‘I enjoyed writing the ghost story and the competition gave me a real taste of what it would be like to be an author.’
- ‘It is a ghost story, a tragedy, a policier and a drawing room comedy: a captivating story performed with childlike unselfconsciousness.’
- ‘He is the father of much genre writing - the detective story, the ghost story, science fiction, the psychological thriller.’
- ‘The story is a gothic ghost story set amid the backdrop of the Spanish Civil War.’
- ‘In a ghost story, the narrative doesn't have to be a model of originality or coherence, but it needs to support the scares.’
- ‘What starts out a psychological thriller turns into little more than a ghost story, and the potential of the initial story is abandoned.’
- ‘After dark, pass around a flashlight and let everyone tell a favorite ghost story.’
- ‘As the name would suggest, it is a ghost story and there is nothing wrong with that.’
- ‘If you had read the title of this story, you would think that this story will be a scary ghost story or a story about a murderer with an axe but I am afraid it is not.’
- ‘It's a haunting tale, like a ghost story whose narrator is speaking from beyond the grave, a victim of the same fate.’
- ‘As the distant thunder rumbled and came closer, I thought of the next dime novel I had been planning to read, a ghost story.’
- ‘It is the ghost story supreme - a ghost story with a vengeance.’
- ‘It starts off as a ghost story, moves into a political thriller and finishes as an epic, spiritual battle between good and evil.’
- ‘It's a kind of ghost story, really, a ghost story that ends on a quavering note of love, reunion, and redemption.’
- ‘There are elements of a ghost story, and there is a growing, yet understated tension, with subtle layers of meaning.’
- ‘It's a ghost story, about the almost-killed being viewed as if they were.’
- ‘She tells him that he acts like he is frightened by a superstitious ghost story.’
- ‘There's nothing like a good ghost story to spice up the history of a house.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.